Background

Background

We're the Millers Movie Review


I have to be honest with you when I say that I wasn't expecting much from We're the Millers. This year, we've had some good comedy movies (like This is the End) along with some bad ones (Hangover part 3). But where does We're the Millers belong in this spectrum?..

We're the Millers stars Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Aniston, Emma Roberts and William Poulter who pose as a typical American family in an attempt of smuggling drugs across the US-Mexican border. Obviously, they have obstacles they need to overcome in order to succeed. That's basically the premise.

Jason Sudeikis is playing the lead role in this movie. His character is you're classic any guy, plus is a part time dealer of cannabis. He does do a sound job in this movie. I really dug his character and the jokes that he was involved in were generally quite funny. Some of his jokes did fall flat it has to be said but overall the majority of them were clever and funny.

Emma Roberts is also ok in this movie. She does a satisfactory job with her character but is in no way the thing that made this movie for me. She was necessary for the plot of course, but she was never really at the centre of the humour going on in this movie.

That accolade goes to William Poulter's character.  Say what you like about this movie, but you have to admit that this guy is unbelievably hilarious! Everything he said I just found absolutely hysterical. It was just the way he delivered his dialogue. Plus, the way he looked at people was priceless! His character really suited my sense of humour!

Ed Helms is also in this movie. Meh..

Now, Jennifer Aniston. She plays a stripper. Wow. Just wow! My oh my! If you are a straight male, you will leave this movie with her on your mind. I can't get over the fact that she is 44 years old!! All I shall say on the matter is the most memorable moment of this movie is the strip tease scene. It's going to be on your mind for definite. No question! Now, I'll stop drooling and talk about her properly in this movie. She is sound, she does crack a few laughs.

My main gripe about this movie is the plot and pacing. It takes so long for the laughs to really get going. In a comedy, I want to be laughing from the first scene to the very last scene. I didn't get that in We're the Millers unfortunately. The plot itself is predictable, Hollywood cliché if I'm brutally honest. You could tell what was going to happen when it did, there were no plot surprises or unpredictable twists. When things cropped up earlier in the movie, you could tell it was going to crop up towards the movie's conclusion.

In all of the technical aspects (cinematography, soundtrack, audio, special effects etc.) the movie is mediocre to say the least!

However the movie itself is generally funny. You don't leave the theatre with stomach pain but you do laugh at 70% (as an estimate) of the jokes. Plus the humour is varied. There are a few vulgar sites and some cringey humour. There is also humour made from some very clever writing. Some parts I found funny because they suited my sense of humour. Although some jokes were clever and some of the humour was very modern, a lot of slapstick comedy is used. You could just tell they were looking for some cheap laughs so just threw them in. There are clever moments in this movie in terms of it's comedy so don't seek cheap laughs if you have the potential to write clever and funny stuff!

Other than Poulter, the best bit of this movie was a character named Scotty P. So funny, you know what I'm saying?..

Also, they run into this family on their journey. That woman was so bloody annoying! I know she was supposed to be but I probably found her more annoying than I should have done.

The movie does have major flaws but the majority of it was generally quite funny. Yeah the plot was cliché and the pacing awful, but Poulter stole the show in terms of comedy and Jennifer Aniston delivered THE sexiest scene I've seen this year!


Rating - C+

1 sentence summary - Not the best comedy ever made, but if you see past the flaws you can really have a good time with this movie!


Right then, what's your favourite comedy of the year so far? As an out-an-out comedy, This is the End is my favourite, but I probably laughed more at Kick-Ass 2 if I'm honest. Whatever you're answer, leave a comment for me.

Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment