Background

Background

The Wolf of Wall Street Movie Review


You know it really is times like these when I feel glad that my first top 10 movies of 2013 list was only preliminary, otherwise this beauty would have missed out...






The Wolf of Wall Street is directed by Martin Scorsese and sees the legendary director team up with Leonardo DiCaprio for the fifth time. Based on the book of the same name, The Wolf of Wall Street is the story of Jordan Belfort, an American Stockbroker with ambitions to earn millions of dollars on Wall Street. The movie follows his rise and fall from stardom, and is one that I was seriously looking forward to.

The reviews that I have seen of this movie have generally been very positive indeed. I was anxious to see Scorsese's next project for myself so I could draw my own opinion from it. And I have to say that this, like American Hustle, is one of the very best movies of the entire year. I have completely fallen in love with this movie!

Yet again, Martin Scorsese proves that he can produce movies that are just as good as his best pieces of work. The Wolf of Wall Street sees the trend continue, and is directed with energy and flair. There literally is never a dull moment. Sat there for just under 3 hours, I was never bored for one second and the time flew by. I have set through movies like Carrie this year that were practically half the length of The Wolf of Wall Street yet felt like twice as long!

The movie is more of an experience, and one that I think I shall experience more of when it releases on blu-ray. With a 3 hour runtime, a lot of stuff does happen. Only after I watched it did I realise just how much really happened in a plot that is fascinating, unpredictable and full of things to enjoy.

Every scene felt as if the camera motions were crafted with care and precision. The style of filming is full of motion, the camera glides seamlessly at all times and really brings to life the atmosphere of the scene all the time. The editing and song choices also scream everything that this movie is; vibrant, energetic and ultimately, fun.

Yet again Leonardo DiCaprio is on fire completely disappearing into the role of his character Jordan Belfort, an ambitious stockbroker who is both self centred and greedy, plus is addicted to all sorts of substances including the worst drug of all; money. Despite him being a total dick, you are with him all the way and DiCaprio puts in yet another excellent performance. Probably a performance that the Academy will overlook, again!

Jonah Hill is hilarious every time he is on screen and the rest of the supporting cast all do fantastic jobs. Matthew McConaughey is in the movie for the first 15 minutes and is never seen afterwards. For the screen time he received, he did great. Also great in the movie is Margot Robbie. Or as I like to call her, the most attractive female on the planet! All jokes aside, she does do well with her performance.

However the one quality which shines above the rest which makes The Wolf of Wall Street so good, is just how goddam funny it is. It is without doubt the funniest movie I have seen since I started writing these reviews. There were some scenes in which I was trying to catch my breath minutes after they had finished due to the strength of the twisted and sadistic comedy the movie threw at me.

It was so entertaining to watch these people perform these despicable acts of debauchery and I literally couldn't get enough of it! I could have watched those characters do things like that all day and not get bored. If the movie had not had been as hilarious as it was I don't think I would have routed for the characters (DiCaprio's in particular) as much as I did, mainly because they are just horrible people. The rise and fall of Jordan Belfort and the stuff in between are full of disturbing yet hilarious acts debauchery, the amount of memorable moments in this movie would be hard to count with 2 hands.

If I were to complain about one thing it would be this: this isn't for everybody. Some people are going to be offended by some of the scenes in this movie so please be warned. Also, this isn't a family movie. I mean, this really IS NOT a family movie!

That being said, some of the scenes in this movie will be ones I remember for a long time. It's well acted, well directed, the characters share really good dialogue between them and it is one of the funniest films I've seen in the last couple of years. Seriously, watching the things that Belfort and some of the other characters did were so evil and so disrespectful yet I couldn't care less because I was laughing my ass off!

The Wolf of Wall Street serves up 3 hours of laughs and entertainment that never ceases throughout. I said something similar in my American Hustle review. Why do I keep referencing American Hustle? Because they have the same rating:


Rating - A+


1 sentence summary - A 3 hour riot of laughter and enjoyment, a controversial yet downright entertaining effort from Scorsese!


Yes, this one is going to be on the final top 10 list as well. There's still a couple of films I need to say but we're nearly there and I can't wait!

Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment