Background

Background

Jesse Eisenberg will be Lex Luthor in the Batman vs Superman Movie (2016)


This project really intrigues me. It seems that at the moment in terms of movie news I only talk about Zach Synder's sequel to last year's Man of Steel. Yet more news has broken out so let's talk about it...




Warner Brothers have announced that Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network, Zombieland, Now You See Me) will play Superman's arch nemesis Lex Luthor in the now 2016 release. Also announced was that Jeremy Irons will play Alfred.

First things first, I am aware that they've pushed the movie back a whole year, which frankly I was initially very upset with. However, once I stopped grimacing at not having an Avengers VS Justice League 2015 box office showdown, I started to think more positively. If it takes them an extra year to produce a better script, then that is fine by me.  Many people believe that this movie is going to be  a sloppy mess and I hope that the writers prove those people wrong. I know it's easy to hate something if you're crushed by your own expectations and it's even harder when Batman and Superman are going to be in the same movie.

Other announcements like Ben Affleck as Batman and Gal Gadot as Wonderwoman I was generally positive about. The Internet is making too much of a thing with Affleck and as for Gadot as Wonderwoman, if she changes her physique to fit the role then she'll be absolutely fine. Now, I am a little sceptical..

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor just doesn't look right when I type it? He's an ok actor and I do like him in the roles that he's in, but as Lex Luthor? Superman's arch nemesis? The DC Universe's most menacing villain? I just don't know...

I honestly hope the guy proves me wrong. Do a Heath Ledger, completely own the role and capture the essence of what Lex Luthor is, a greedy, power-hungry insane businessman who will do anything to get what he wants. If Eisenberg can play this role differently to how he usually plays the roles he's cast as, we could be in for a pleasant surprise.

However, at the moment I think that Zach Synder is either casting Eisenebrg to try and seriously shock the community or is doing it because he sees him as the right man to play the Lex Luthor that he has envisioned for this franchise.

Its true that I would have preferred other people to Eisenberg in the role. Mark Strong would have been good, but If it had been Bryan Cranston (Lord Heisenberg himself) or Joaquin Phoenix (one of the best actors we have), I would have been more happy. Still, Cranston could probably find a role as Jim Gordon in this movie or the next. That would be awesome.

On to more positive news I really like the idea of Jeremy Irons as Alfred. It gives opportunity for the filmmakers to take that character in a direction we haven't seen before, which isn't a bad thing.

So what does everyone else make of all of the Batman vs. Superman announcements so far? Do you like them all? Do you hate every single one of them? Or are you a little on the fence? This is probably the first announcement I'm not entirely settled on, I hope this is the only one when future announcements are made!


Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment