Background

Background

The Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens Trailer is AWESOME!!!




What a perfect trailer. Honestly. A trailer which gets you unfathomably excited for a film showing a bunch of new stuff we have yet to see whist at the same time not spoiling anything and telling us things we didn't already know. This new trailer for The Force Awakens (my most anticipated film of 2015) should act as an exemplar for those who work in Hollywood marketing films.

The footage they showed off and the way the trailer built up and built up sent shivers down my spine and goosebumps up my arm. And the reason why this happened was because it genuinely felt like Star Wars to me. In terms of it's overall aesthetic; the iconic musical score, the sound design, the costumes, the sets, the visuals, the cinematography... It all felt like Star Wars. Remember that feeling of awe and wonderment the first time you watched the original Star Wars films? Watching this trailer felt like I was doing that all over again.

It didn't spoil anything I didn't already know:

 - Daisy Ridley's character Rey is a scavenger on Jakku with an awesome pet BB8 droid.

 - John Boyega's character Finn abandons The First Order and teams up with Rey.

 - Adam Driver's Kylo Ren is part of a Darth Vader cult that vows to finish the "work he started".

 - Han Solo has a large role in the film and The Millennium Falcon will make a return.

 -  Oscar Isaac's Poe Dameron is a kick-ass Resistance fighter pilot.

 - The Resistance and The First Order are currently at war with each other in a conflict that probably won't even resolve itself at the end of this film.





This new trailer spoiled nothing for me. I still don't know if Rey has a connection with a Solo or a Skywalker? I don't know how her and Finn come across Han Solo? How do General Hux, Captain Phasma and Supreme Senator Snoke fit into the film? I don't know, and I'm so happy I don't!

This trailer is definitely the most action-oriented trailer we've seen from The Force Awakens so far. And while the action set pieces look phenomenal my 2 favourite moments of the trailer are as follows:

1) The shot which pans around Finn and Poe Dameron by the X-wing. That shot is pure JJ Abrams class and something which you would have seen in the original trilogy and not in the prequels.

2) John Boyega's face when Adam Driver's Kylo Ren is about to swing his lightsaber at him. The look of fear and the instant realisation that he is woefully unprepared summarises the entire situation beautifully, and gives the character of Finn room to develop as the trilogy progresses.

I can't stress to you how excited I am. In 2 months time I am going to go to a movie theatre and watch a brand new Star Wars film. It really doesn't get any better!


Thanks for reading, and may the Force be with you!
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment