Background

Background

The Worlds End Movie Review


The third instalment of the "Cornetto" trilogy has arrived in 2013 in the form of The Worlds End. How does this movie compare to the others? Is it any good? All in good time will those questions be answered my friends. For now, the review.

The Worlds End is another Pegg and Frost movie, so already I had high expectations of this film being a fan of both Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Does it meet up to the high expectations? Actually, it's a bit of a let down.

Simon Pegg is a good actor. He has proven this over many films due to the range of characters he has to play. He plays quite a unlikeable character for the majority of this movie and does that job well (mainly because I actually disliked the character in the way the movie wanted me to). Nick Frost also does an alright job with his character. But, my favourite of the entire movie was Martin Freeman's character. I think he played his character best, I just like him as an actor.

As the "5 musketeers" progress through the infamous "Golden Mile" pub crawl, things seem a little choppy in terms of the storyline and editing. It's almost as if they were given a script that said "Ok, first this happens, then this, then this and so on" and this makes the story feel restricted in what it can do. They are literally jumping from pub to pub. Whilst watching it, I felt that the story had no natural progression in it but rather was just progressing because the script said it needed to.

Character development is in this movie in a really forced way; its very predictable. You know, you have the arsehole as the main character and he's meant to be "enlightened" towards the latter stages and then you have the grown up character becoming all rebellious towards the end as well.

What I liked though was that as the characters became more and more drunk, the more and more crazy things started to become! I was also thankful the movie wasn't just a massive drunk hallucination, that would have just ended it for me!

In a Pegg and Frost movie, violence in some form or another is merely an inevitability, and of course violence is in this film in the form of the main characters fist fighting the robots that have taken over the town. The special effects used in the film look good and do not detract from the movie in anyway. Another positive has to go to the props in this movie. The blue blood, robots losing limbs and becoming decapitated all looked realistic and were entertaining to watch. However, the fight scenes are always similar and there comes a time when you've seen it all and it just becomes less entertaining.

And just like my This is the End review, the film's comedy will get a mention. There are a few funny slapstick moments as well as some moments of well-written dialogue between the characters which made for some "laugh out loud" moments. Some moments, unfortunately, were just not funny. This is made worse due to the reaction shots afterwards where the audience is supposed to be laughing, but is not (you know, like the entirety of the film Grown Ups!). There was also excessive use of the "C" word at some moments where it is just completely unnecessary and adds nothing in terms of comedy.

The ending also felt rushed and unfinished, but I was thankful that the movie ended when it did. I had seen enough!

I was disappointed walking out of this movie. I was supposed to see Now You See Me (which I will review), instead I got the movie which brings down what would have been a solid "Cornetto" trilogy.

It's half and half really. It's a predictable and choppy story, but the violence, special effects and props are all used well. The humour is in the middle, however not as good as the humour in This is the End.


Rating - C

1 sentence summary - The Cornetto trilogy let down by a half-hearted movie that does not meet up to its predecessor's high standards.


I think that just about sums it up perfectly for me. I'm sure some people may disagree with me though. If you did, why not let me know in the comments section? Your opinions are of course always welcome.

Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment