Background

Background

Breaking Bad T.V Show Review

The reason why movie reviews have been so sparse of late is now obvious to you all. Yes, I watched the entire show of Breaking Bad in just 23 days. I watched the pilot episode the day after the show officially wrapped up and ever since then have been marathoning it and watching it whenever I could. And I have to say I am so glad I did! Breaking Bad offered me some of the best television I have ever seen, and I shall tell you why:



As a television show Breaking Bad works better than any other thing I have ever watched. From minute 1 of episode 1, I was hooked. The rest, as you say, is history!

Breaking Bad is broken up into 5 different seasons; series 1 having a mere 7 episodes, 2,3 and 4 having 13 and the final season 16 episodes (although, it was split into 2 half-series of 8, shown with a year gap in between). As said previously, this show glides seamlessly through the plot with episodes which, although are close together in terms of the show's timeline, all transition brilliantly together. From season to season, the stakes just keep on getting higher! The tone of the show, while still grounded in realism, gradually becomes darker and more tense as the seasons go on.

I am not usually a person who watches a fictional T.V show but after Breaking Bad I might need to! This show changed my perception of having "that" programme to watch. Although, I doubt I'll find one as good as this!

This show is so brilliant because there isn't one episode that steers away from the tone it sets out from the start. It is very much settled in this realistic environment with these realistic characters. The show is also famously exceptional at escalating the tension. Firstly, it allows you to form a connection with each and every character, making you care about them as people, and then puts them all at one point in danger, thus constantly mounting up the tension. Lots of the scenes in Breaking Bad understand that silence is golden! Many of the scenes, which are so well imagined and constructed, tell you the story just by the look of a character or their body language. No other show does it better in my opinion.

As an entire show, I don't think that there is a single weak episode in the show. That is saying something! Not every episode has to be filled with a huge, action climax or an intensely thrilling scene; some episodes can be put there in order to develop the characters within the show. Also, how did any of you watch this show when it was on the television?? The cliff-hangers are so, so, so amazing and are probably the best I have ever seen! How you all managed with them I don't know! Thankfully, Netflix allowed me to click effortlessly on "next episode". Thank God for that!! My favourite parts of the show were the endings of a select few episodes, that just shows you how good they really are..

A lot of the credit has to go to the writers and the directors for the brilliance of this show. Vince Gilligan and everybody else involved with production created such an excellently written script that was so clever, and so engaging. It helped to bring the people on screen alive and without it this show wouldn't be half as good as it is! The dialogue is hypnotisingly  brilliant. Good job guys and girls.. you blew me away..

It is also a show that is so well written that at parts it is genuinely hilarious. The show maybe brilliant at characters, tension and giving you that ability to constantly question yourself about the fate of the characters, but it can also make you laugh your ass off. Again, I cannot emphasize how the clever the show's script really is.

Walter White/Heisenberg is one of the best characters ever created. It was so cool to watch this show and witness the slow and steady decline of Walter White from an over-qualified chemistry teacher to one of the most feared drug lords in the United States. However, no matter what he did you sympathised with him. The ends will justify the means, and you as an audience member route for him all the way. This is all thanks to Bryan Cranston. I probably don't need to say it but I will anyway, for he is one of the best actors in the business. He proves episode-to-episode his expansive talent for acting and his performances are beyond amazing in some episodes. He is just a phenomenal actor.

The next best thing in this show is the character of Jesse Pinkman, played by Aaron Paul. Jesse is a fantastic character because he is the one who endeavours the most hardship throughout the course of the show, yet still remains his honesty and intergrity. Aaron Paul consistently delivers performances as this character which blew my mind. Literally, man tears were flowing down my face. His emotional range, like Cranston, is outstanding.

Breaking Bad is also a show which can say every actor in it who plays an important character does a phenomenal job. No weak links at all.

Anna Gunn as Skylar does a really good job as her character because she constantly has to change her acting due to her character who almost feels a different emotion in every episode..

RJ Mitte as Walt Jr is also incredible. Betsy Brandt as Marie and Dean Norris as Hank both are also just amazing in this show as well. As for Hank; badass! One of the best parts of this show in my opinion. He is so funny.

Other characters like Todd, Gus Fring, Mike, Saul Goodman, Gomez are all so brilliantly written by the creators and are portrayed with such enthusiasm and precision. I really stand by my statement that Breaking Bad does not have a single weak link in it's cast. Hell, even the baby who plays Holly is fantastic.

The show's screenplay is fantastic and is equally amazing behind the camera. The visual style of this show changes sometimes dependent upon the setting but either way the visual quality of Breaking Bad is just absolutely flawless. It's also amazingly impressive due to it's stylistic use of sound editing. Often, it will transition from a character-development scene to a light-hearted meth cooking scene with loud music blaring in the background. This should feel weird. It doesn't. The sound editing and use of music is so cleverly woven and expertly chosen.

The show has a unique feel about it which is further emphasized by some really clever cinematography. Every single aspect is handled craftily and carefully and produces some astounding results. Some of the camera angles and shots used are so subtle yet so clever. Add that to impeccable visual and audio quality, you have a show which is technically above the rest.

Some of the episodes in this show were so good that when things happened I would literally shout at my television, usually in sheer surprise. That is what is so amazing about Breaking Bad. The writers and directors will give you everything you want yet will still never fail to surprise you! This is Breaking Bad's strongest quality..

Now how would you ruin a show like this? I know, a shit ending.. Oh wait. This is not the case. The final episode of the show gave me all that I wanted plus still surprised me. Every character received the closure they required. The right people died, the right people were left to live.

Walt's last scene with his 2 children and Skylar was better-handled than I ever could have imagined. It was so bitter-sweet to me. Also, his last scene with Jesse was expert in my opinion. The actors told you their entire story together with one simple look. The very last scene of the show will remain with me forever. It sent shivers down my spine and was such a fitting end to what is a phenomenal television programme.

I will talk Breaking Bad spoilers next time for sure as its so hard not to spoil the show when talking about it. I think I'll give my favourite Breaking Bad moments sometime soon. But for now, I would rate the entire show of Breaking Bad (plus the majority of the episodes) like this:


Rating - A+


1 sentence summary - The best television drama ever created!


I'm sad that its over to be honest. Ah well, I'll buy the box sets when they come out!

Something a bit different I guess. I've never talked about a television show before but I must say I enjoyed myself. Who knows? I could do more in the future.

Thanks for reading, whoever you are.
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment