Background

Background

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) Cast Update


The cast for one of my most anticipated movies ever is increasing all the time, and I thought it were time to give my take on a few casting choices they have made since I talked about Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor casting in February.




I'm going to try and hit them all from most recent to least recent so I'm going to start off talking about the casting of Scoot McNairy. Scoot McNairy, if you don't already know, has a pretty impressive filmography for a (fairly) unknown actor. He was most recently in Non Stop with Liam Neeson, and in much more critically successful movies like 12 Years a Slave and Argo, the last 2 Best Picture Academy Award Winners. Scoot McNairy's casting is an interesting one because at the moment the studio are not revealing who they've cast him as, leading to much speculation. Do I think he'll be a Justice League member like Green Lantern or Flash? Potentially, but that isn't what I'm theorising at the moment. The way I see it is that he has worked with Ben Affleck before with Argo and we'll see him and Affleck together in October with David Fincher's Gone Girl (which by the way I'm excited for). They've been in a fair amount of movies together and they've cast Scoot alongside his friend who is playing Batman. You see where I'm going with this? I think he's Robin, or possibly Nightwing. This is literally just me speculating typing away on my laptop at the moment but if Warner Brothers really want to keep his casting a secret, then it must be something pretty big, right? I do have my own opinion Robin being in this movie but it hasn't been confirmed so there'd be no point in my rambling on about it for ages.




However there would be a point in me talking about Aquaman. DC's most unfairly treated and underappreciated JLA member will be introduced in the Batman v Superman movie. He will be played by Game of Thrones star Jason Momoa. I am really behind his casting because to a lot of people Aquaman is just a joke, as in a useless waste of space who can talk to fish. He's the King of Atlantis for Christ's sake and has a tonne of mythology behind him. I really think that with Momoa's casting that as soon as people here that "that guy from Game of Thrones" will play Aquaman, people will start to take the character more seriously. So to sum up: Excellent casting choice.




And finally way back in April Cyborg was cast and Ray Fisher was the lucky man given the role. My issue with this is not the actual casting (I'm sure the guy will do just fine) but rather what they do with the character of Cyborg in this movie. I would have preferred to have seen Cyborg introduced in The Justice League (2017) as opposed to this movie, only because I fear that there will be too many other heroes in the movie that will take away screen time from Batman and Superman. This is unless they just introduce Victor Stone as the football player who exists in the universe and don't actually make him into the superhero Cyborg. Only time will tell with what they decide to do I guess, and I'm interested to see if we get the man Victor Stone or the mechanical superhuman Cyborg.


So that's my take on the casting of Cyborg, Aquaman and the "mystery role" for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016). Question: What do you think of these casting choices?


Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment