Background

Background

Suicide Squad Cast Revealed!!


When DC/Warner Brothers confirmed that they were chasing some "A-List" actors to cast in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie, they really weren't lying!





It seems to me that DC has really grabbed the opportunity to release a "villain team-up" movie by the balls and they're really going for it. While the common audience member may not be sold on the sole fact that it takes place in the same universe as Batman v Superman, I think now they'll start to take note with a decent cast. The line-up is as follows:


Jared Leto – The Joker

Will Smith – Deadshot

Tom Hardy – Rick Flag

Margot Robbie – Harley Quinn

Jai Courtney – Boomerang

Cara Delevingne – Enchantress


I'll start with my gripes with the cast list. Firstly, the inclusion of Cara Delevingne as Enchantress. I don't think I've actually seen her in anything and, due to my own ignorance, know close to nothing about the character she is playing, therefore it's hard for me to get excited for her. Also, I don't know if she is going to have much importance to the overall story; to me she seems like one of the expendable members. She's the Suicide Squad's Hawkeye!

Secondly, Jai Courtney. Although I assume he will have more relevance to the Squad than Enchantress, as he is a popular villain for The Flash (who'll be played by Ezra Miller), I am not a huge fan of him as an actor. I have nothing personal against the guy... but I don't know if he can bring the emotional resonance to Boomerang like I know the other actors will bring to their characters. I hope to be proved wrong.

Now to stop ranting! Margot Robbie (aka my future wife) as Harley Quinn is bang on, absolute perfection. She was phenomenal in Wolf of Wall Street and let's face it, she's sexy as hell! She's everything that Harley Quinn should be and I am so looking forward to her interplay with Jared Leto's Joker.

That is also a great casting choice. Its been rumoured for weeks now and the actor was sworn to secrecy, but now all has been revealed. The Suicide Squad, in order to sell to modern audiences, needed a well known character to grab their attention. After Heath Ledger's defining performance as The Joker in The Dark Knight, the character has become an even bigger pop culture icon and will sell tickets on his name alone. But what do I think of the casting? Lets put it this way, I am an optimist... most of the time. I'm looking forward to his spin on The Joker, that's all that I need to say.

Finalising the cast is Will Smith's Deadshot and Tom Hardy's Rick Flag. Will Smith usually goes for lead roles and it makes sense that he is Deadshot, because he is the leader of the squad. Tom Hardy is one of my favourite actors and he is going to be a force, its inevitable, even with a character like Rick Flag, someone else I know close to nothing about. Personally, I would've loved to have seen Hardy play Deathstroke, but I really can't complain as I'm glad he's going to be in it!

Overall, the cast is good and the character line-up is surprising. I'm so looking forward to this film as this could be the flick which gives depth and backstory to a cinematic universe which is yet to be established. DC need to show us that these villains have been around for years and, for some of them, a connection to Ben Affleck's Batman, someone who's also been kicking ass for many many years. This is a huge opportunity for DC, and I'm praying they deliver us something great.

But I still am a little hesitant. Casting lists don't get me amazingly pumped, trailers do. And when I see a trailer for this film, I'll fanboy the f*ck out!


Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment