Background

Background

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer Review


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE


Ok so if you're like me you've probably spent the entirety of today sporadically checking your phone hoping that the teaser trailer for Star Wars VII has been released. I have watched so many shitty fake trailers but as soon as this one started I knew it was legit. JJ Abrams, I think, is doing us Star Wars fans proud... and this was a great teaser!

My only concern going into this movie, prior to watching the trailer, was whether or not JJ Abrams would make the film actually look and feel like it belongs in the Star Wars franchise. Through the cinematography, visual effects and John William's iconic score, it felt like Star Wars to me. My only problem now is that we're going to have to wait 13 months for the film to come out.

But it should be worth the wait. The marketing team behind this trailer got the balance right between showing enough to get us satisfied and leave us wanting more. We get to see in the trailer John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and others but we still don't know the exact people they're playing. When Boyega first popped up I legitimately jumped out of my skin because I was so intensely focused on the trailer. What's interesting to me is that we now know that Boyega is either a stormtrooper or some sort of spy/infiltrator (by the looks of his armour) and that a majority of the film will be taking place on Tatooine (by the epic shots of the desert).

It was nice to see stormtroopers readying themselves for some sort of  mission, it was nice to see the X Wings and the Tie Fighters in full force, and for me the most satisfying moment of all was when John William's iconic theme starting blaring when the Millennium Falcon came into shot. That was also the most technicially impressive shot of the whole trailer; I loved the way it went upside down and followed the flight of the Falcon.

I also thought it was interesting that we didn't get to see Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill in the trailer however I get it because I don't think the story is going to solely revolve around them anymore. That weird-ass droid thing though did throw me off a bit... I mean what even was that thing?

Finally, that new red lightsaber - awesome.

I'd probably give the trailer a solid 8/10. It was a teaser that was supposed to tease us and tease us it did. A few minor things threw me off a bit, but the music, the shots, JJ Abrams direction and the focus on the new cast members all combined to create a teaser for a film which looks like it belongs in the Star Wars saga. JJ Abrams, I am on board. And thanks for soaring my expectations!


Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment