Background

Background

5 Reasons Why I Hate The Transformers Franchise


When I changed the name of the blog I intended to do movie related Top 10 lists. However, after writing an incredibly negative review for Transformers: Age of Extinction, I thought I would explain why I hate this movie franchise and the films within it. I'm limiting myself to 5 so I don't go on forever...





1) No Creativity

The Transformers movies are the prime example of having a director with a very distinct filmmaking style. This franchise showcases Michael Bay in all of his slow motion, firework explosions, CGI glory. I am not a big fan of Bay's style at all and I don't find it entertaining or redeemable. Some people say that when you go into a Transformers movie you need to "turn your brain off" and you should expect what you get. No. As film audiences we deserve the best and should get the best from a director/studio. Don't treat us like idiots who can only be satisfied by attractive women and explosions, treat us with respect. We like to see movies directed with passion and determination. We like movies which are original and unique. Hell one of my favourite movies so far this year has been The Grand Budapest Hotel for that exact reason. Anyway I'm rambling. The point is I don't like seeing the same movie 4 times over with no creative changes made at all.


2) No Continuity

Why is it that every single Transformers movie there's a change in the mythology? Why is it that every movie sees the characters fight over the possession of the same thing with a different name? Why is it that the Autobot and Decepticon line up changes throughout the movies without any real explanation as to why? Don't ask me!


3) The Humour

I said this a few times in my Age of Extinction review that I do not understand Michael Bay's humour. His comedic characters are awful and they're not subtle as being comic relief as he just shoves these unlikeable and unfunny characters down your throat. The examples of his humour which just boggle my mind include Transformer testicles, racist jokes and stereotyping and at one point 2 dogs having sex. 


4) The Action

My favourite movie so far this year has been The Raid 2. Why? Because the action saw the actors physically commit and devote to their stunts which made the action seem tense and realistic. The action sequences used wide takes and actually showed us what was going on. When Michael Bay has to perform an action sequence in these movies which don't involve CGI Transformers, its just a load of quick cut editing and shaky cam. When he does create an action sequence with 2 Transformers, it is just a CGI slop fest with a panning camera, which means I have no idea who's fighting who and which one I need to be routing for. It leaves me confused and there is absolutely no suspense or weight to the action, thus it isn't satisfying enough.


5) They Make Money

Dark of the Moon grossed $1.2 billion worldwide. It is the seventh highest grossing film of all time. Wow. The thing that really gets me is that people would rather spend their money on a film like this as opposed to something original. I mean The Grand Budapest Hotel is a perfect example of a movie with originality, passionate direction and at the same time is really fun and enjoyable. Edge of Tomorrow is an action movie with incredible action in it, plus is actually something new and refreshing in Hollywood as it is based off a Manga. Even big budget Hollywood blockbusters like Captain America: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: Days of Future Past have been of high quality this year, yet I guarantee Age of Extinction will gross more than those 2. The Transformers movies are big, bloated CGI fests with no substance and too many explosions. They make tonnes of money (Age of Extinction has made $300 million I think in its opening weekend) and because of this they will continue to make more and more of the same bullsh*t and Hollywood will be continue to be riddled by movies like the Transformers movies, which scares me!


I'm done being negative. I probably sounded like a whiny little bitch throughout that but if truth be told those are my honest opinions on this movie franchise, which I really hate. If you disagree with anything written down, please leave a comment.

Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment