Background

Background

Tammy Movie Review


Oh dear.





Tammy is directed by Ben Falcone and stars his wife Melissa McCarthy as the title character. The film was also written by the 2 and is essentially a road trip comedy movie with Tammy and her grandmother, played by Susan Sarandon. It is marketed as a comedy but in my opinion it shouldn't have been because my experience with this one was quiet, as in I don't think I laughed once! I had a pretty awful time with this one.

The biggest criticism I can have with a comedy is if it doesn't make me laugh and I honestly didn't laugh at all during this one. For me it just wasn't funny and was wooden in it's execution. This is one of those comedies where it feels as if they're trying to force the laughter out of you without really earning it. I get it guys, Tammy likes to call people pricks/dicks/assholes all the time! Honestly I get it.

Melissa McCarthy and Susan Sarandon are not the reasons for this films failure in my opinion because they are by no means acting terribly however they're frustrating to watch because as characters they are stupidly unlikeable! We're forced to (unsuccessfully) bond with these 2 characters via a plot which makes no logical sense. The writing is all over the place.

The film, within the first 15 minutes, had already introduced us to Tammy, her mother and her grandmother, seen Tammy get fired from her job and seen her leave her husband. I often say that sometimes movies can be quickly paced in a bad way... there's your example! The film is structurally a mess and tonally a mess. It has built-up emotional scenes which are really meant to make you feel but the truth is I couldn't give a f***! They miss and they miss awfully!

The movie is marketed as a comedy yet is directed with no urgency, no flair and no inspiration to the point where I spent 90 minutes checking my phone to see when it was going to end! Also I want to mention 2 other small things which got on my nerves. One is the worst CGI deer I have ever seen. The other is a cricket sound effect which comes out of nowhere and ends a second later. They probably won't bug most people but they really agitated me!

The one glimmer of praise I can give Tammy is that on 2 occasions I grinned. That is it. Tammy was a bad experience for me as I was bored sh*tless and not laughing during a summer comedy movie. That should never happen:


Rating - D-


1 sentence summary - A boring comedy which has no laughs, as in none!


Thanks for reading,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment